Working With Under-Achieving Writers
$19.99 – $299.00
This brand new eBook (written by Dr Murray Gadd) was released on 31st January 2020.
This is an 82-page peer-reviewed eBook resource entitled Under-achievement Is Not Inevitable: Working Effectively With Struggling And Reluctant Writers.
It’s written as a reflection and discussion document for school / literacy leaders & teachers and considers different ways of working effectively with students (particularly Years 4-10) who are not always engaged in writing and/or who struggle as developing writers.
The Main Questions It Poses Are
- Why do some students (particularly boys and students from minority ethnic groups) under-achieve as developing writers?
- What are some key actions that teachers can undertake to help raise student engagement, progress and achievement levels in writing?
Who’s This For?
This resource was developed for two main audiences:
- For school/literacy leaders who could use the resource to lead professional inquiry and learning amongst their teachers. To this end, I have written a reading and discussion guide at the beginning and end of all sections. These often include actions for teachers to trial.
- For teachers who might want to use the resource to lead their own inquiry around the key questions posed in the resource. They could use the reading and discussion guide and trial some of the suggested actions as individual teachers.
How Can It Assist Literacy Leaders & Teachers?
The key actions are contextualised in real classroom situations and cover issues related to strategic use of:
- Teacher expectations;
- Topic selection;
- Instructional strategies;
- Classroom organisation and management;
- Classroom environment.
Have a look at some sample pages and think about how you could use it, especially if under-achievement in writing is an issue at your school.
Price Per School / Institution
All prices are quoted in NZD
|– Individual Teacher / Purchaser: $19.99|
|– School usage small (2 ~ 10 teachers): $90|
|– School usage medium (11 – 20 teachers): $160|
|– School usage large (21 – 30 teachers): $240|
|– School usage large+ (31 or more teachers): $299|
- 82 pages in total
- Priced per number of users / teachers in the school or institution
- Prices are quoted in NZD and include GST
- How the license works: Please consult the Licensing FAQ on the FAQ Page
This resource is also available as a printed book – click for more info
Balanced feedback / comments / reviews are welcome. They are used to help us improve and are also useful for other teachers / users to be able to understand the value of the resource!
We would love to know what you think - and how you have used the resource within your teaching environment / how it has helped you.
We will share your thoughts here and keep your details private.
Only verified owners of this resource can leave a comment - you must have already purchased or downloaded (including free resources) this item.
You will also need to be logged in, then return here to write your review.
|Size of School|
Individual Teacher / Purchaser, 2 ~ 10 Teachers, 11 ~ 20 Teachers, 21 ~ 30 Teachers, 31 Or More Teachers
Annual Membership for Online PLD
Building Excitement, Engagement & Achievement in Writing
This online Professional Learning Development resource provides access to the following:
1. Access to all Murray ‘Reads and Writes From’ video lessons (currently 22)
- Plus three new video lessons added each new (NZ) teaching term (12 per year)
2. Access to all ‘Murray Talks’ videos around the teaching of writing (currently 9)
- Plus three New Murray Talks videos per new (NZ) teaching term (12 per year)
- These supplement each talk or video
4. Access to a “Members Area” section where you can manage your Subscription, add, remove and invite Group Managers and members.
5. Access to Free technical support for you / your membership plan Group users
Additional information is available in the Description below.
Coming in 2021: option to upgrade to ‘PLUS membership’ which will include access to up to two 60-minute on-line sessions with Dr Murray Gadd.
Price Per School / Institution for Standard Annual Membership
All prices are in NZD, include GST and are payable annually in advance via credit / debit card.
NOTE: the person making the purchase (e.g. Admin or Principal) will become the Account Owner and will occupy one seat from the license – so we recommend it’s someone who will be using the resource (e.g. not office staff). See “How Does Membership Work?” below for more information.
Beginning The School Literacy Year: Some Notes For Teachers
It is surely every teacher’s desire and goal to seek to enable and create success for their students in the classroom.
The beginning of the new school year can be daunting for students, as well as teachers, with so many new faces, curriculum changes, excitement and a plethora of other distractions.
With regard to literacy goals, it is important to establish a clear understanding from the outset with your students.
You should aim, within the first fortnight of the new school year, to communicate clearly with your students that:
- ‘Our job during the year is to become the best readers and writers we can be’.
- ‘Reading and writing can be fun as well as challenging’.
- ‘I need to work with you to find out what you’re already good at and what you need to work on so that I can help you’.
In this respect, this document’s aim is to assist teachers by providing typical questions they can ask themselves when preparing for the school literacy year.
Picture Books For Reading And Writing
This is a list of picture books (including sophisticated picture books) that I use to motivate and engage Year 1-10 students in reading and writing.
For reading, I use them as ‘read to’ books and sometimes as models of what good writers can do.
For writing, I use them to establish writing ideas and content for and with students.