Building Excitement, Engagement & Achievement in Writing with Dr Murray Gadd
This Standard Annual Membership tool – developed around a long-term goal of students becoming motivated and independent writers who are able to communicate confidently, proficiently and with impact according to the purpose for writing and the intended audience – is based on a belief that teachers can make a difference for all students, regardless of their level of ability.
By purchasing an annual membership licence for this on-line tool, schools/teachers will have full access to our Video Lessons website section which will include:
- Access to all Murray ‘Reads and Writes From’ Video Lessons. These cover a range of fiction and non-fiction topics. For each lesson, you can download / print the ‘Teacher Notes’ on how the lesson can be used within the classroom programme.
- Access to all ‘Murray Talks’ videos – related to the effective teaching of writing – includes downloadable PDF Teacher Notes
- Three new video writing lessons (by Murray) at the beginning of each new school term (NZ): one for the junior school; one for the middle school; one for the senior school. Some will be based in picture books; some will be based on other sources of motivation. These also will be accompanied by downloadable ‘teacher notes’ on how lessons can be used within the classroom programme.
- Three new Murray Talks’ Videos at the beginning of each new (NZ) term on topics related to the effective teaching of writing. All talks will relate directly to the classroom and will be research- and evidence-based.
- Access to a “Members Area” section where you can manage your Subscription, add remove and invite Group Managers and members to your Group. See the FAQ for details.
- Access to technical support for your membership plan.
Other anticipated topics during 2020-2021 will include:
- scheduling for writing;
- writing purposes and audiences;
- topic and task selection;
- teaching approaches and routines for writing instruction;
- writing instructional practices;
- learning goals for writing;
- assessment in writing;
- writing across the curriculum, including role of genre;
- making reading-writing links;
- role of spelling within the writing programme;
- ways of extending able writers;
- working with struggling writers;
- boys as writers;
- role of oral language in the writing programme;
- promoting self-regulation in writing;
- teacher as writer;
- the classroom writing environment;
- use of writing tools;
- making school-home literacy links;
- approaches to moderating writing.
Written notes summarising the main points of each talk (as well as appropriate resources) and inquiry questions for teachers will also be downloadable.
COMING IN 2021: PLUS Membership Option – an option to include Online Sessions With Murray
From 2021, we will offer an “PLUS Membership” option for schools to upgrade their subscription in order to access direct on-line sessions with Murray via e.g. Zoom. These will be in the form of two 60-minute live sessions with Murray (each year) to take place at a time and on topics that are mutually negotiated and agreed.
For example, these sessions could be used for: staff meetings; discussions with teams about student writing; or even interactions with students about their writing.
This is for schools that can’t get access to my facilitation as I hate having to say ‘no’ !
All qualifying membership subscribers will be notified when this option becomes available.
All of the above resources can be used at the school-wide level, team/whanau level, or individual teacher level, according to what licence you have purchased.
They can be used for purposes of professional learning, development and/or inquiry (probably led by a school or literacy leader) or just to motivate and engage school leaders, teachers and students.